Friday, February 10, 2012

It must be spring (because excuses are popping up like weeds)

Hello fellow citizens of Blogistan. I come to you today with sad news: I still haven't gotten any sewing accomplished. But it's not my fault, how can anyone be expected to sew under these conditions?
I can hear your thoughts now, "That poor machine, all tucked away unloved and unused under a crappy card table. And what's with that tiny meth lab in the bottom left corner?" Fear not, I would never cook meth, and especially not in my future twin's soon-to-be-nursery. That's just my make-shift seedling incubator.
Look at all those future tomatoes, bell peppers, ground cherries, strawberry and malabar spinaches, and (hopefully) strawberries! And this doesn't include the cucumbers, melons, squash, and various other peppers that will be going in outside (in a couple of weeks). As you can see I've kept a bit on the busy side with all this planting and growing.

What's that? Oh, yes, I know that growing is pretty much fire and forget. Once those seeds were planted I only have to throw twos of minuets per day at watering. Where then has all my time gone? I'm glad you asked:
Sexy bamboo trellises
I've been spending my nights cutting bamboo (from a source who I doubt will miss it) and my days trying to assemble these things. I need 6 in total, and they have to be strong because they'll be holding lots of fruit/vegetables. For interested parties, the total garden area is somewhere between 250 and 300 sq/ft, depending on how much I squeeze the rose bushes and trumpeter vine. The plan is to lay things out roughly like this:
This will probably change a little, but it's what I'm working from at the moment. Watering will be accomplished with a home-made soaker hose which will be laid under my mulch layer (for less waste). Speaking of watering-- I have to say that the Arbor Apartments in Boerne are Awesome. Last year my closest water hookup was 180' feet away. This year, the maintenance man reinstalled an old faucet that is only 50' away. How cool is that? He's totally getting extra watermelons this year.

I also plan to practice being a father, get the neighborhood kids interested in gardening, and safeguard the garden site all in fell swoop. I'm going to make a bunch of garden gnomes out of air-dry clay, then invite the local kids to paint them for me. I'm no sculptor, so their 5 and 6 year old painting skills will be the key to success here:
My first attempt at Gnomage
So as you can see, I've had a lot on my plate. Along with this, I've moved to working full time at work, started going back to the gym 3 times a week, and I'm making another attempt at becoming a runner (couch to 5k, anyone?) But I should be back to the needle soon. I printed a new pattern last night (for a new shirt) and I have a coworker who wants me to modify his shirt collar-- for MONEY!

Now all I have to do is avoid assassination from my enemies in the insect kingdom. No joke, I found this agent at work on my car tire today:
Sneaky bastard

Stay tuned for some actual sewing, more garden shenanigans, and more amazing things that you can squeeze into a single day if you don't watch T.V. Leave me some love, and remember to eat what you sow:

2 comments:

  1. I think sewing and gardening go hand in had in that sustainable living sort of way. Bravo! to you and your future garden. But please don't stop sewing because there are some folks out here that really enjoy learning from your bravery in the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Jade, I'm far from finished. I'll be back at the needle later this week. I have a new pattern all cut out and a stack of "when I get to it"s that are on my radar. Expect shirt related goodness in the near future.

      Delete